As is well-known, the hard drive is the main storage device of the computer. It is made up of one or more aluminum or glass discs, which are covered with a layer of ferromagnetic material. The vast majority of hard drives are fixed in the hard disk drive. With the continuous development of hard drive technology, the capacity of thehard drive has been developing greatly. That contributes a lot to the wide popularity of hard drive.
But since thehard drive is widely used, hard drive data loss occurs frequently. For example, there are a lot of users who said that they have ever erased hard drive by mistake. In this awkward situation, the useful methods for hard drive recovery are demanded.
To help you get back the valuable information on the erased hard drive, I will show you a detailed recovery tutorial in the following content.
What to Do after You Erased Hard Drive by Mistake
Sometimes, you may erase a wrong hard drive; while in other cases, you may erase a partition on an external hard drive by mistake. Now, I will give my suggestions on how to deal with these two situations. Let’s see how to recover files from formatted hard drive disk and partition
Two Real Cases of Erasing Hard Drive Mistakenly
- “I recently started erasing an external Hard Drive using Disk utility. About a 1/4 of the way through the process I realized I highlighted the wrong drive. I quit out of the process. I am not sure how much of the 3 TB Hard drive was erased. The process line was about a 1/3 of the way. The drive shows up in Utility, but will not mount to the desktop.”
- “Hi! I had just installed XP on my system and after installing some software from my external hard drive I realized that something went wrong with the install so I decided to reinstall the OS. I forgot to switch off my external hard drive and when Windows loaded all the files and asked me where did I want to install XP and all that, both drives appeared, my internal HD and the external with all my data. I was doing something else at the same time and I wasn’t paying all the attention I should have so I deleted the partition of my USBHD and just after I did it I realized my mistake and in a moment of desperation I removed theUSBcable and turned off the external HD. The file system for that drive is NTFS and there was only one partition. I did not format the external drive, I only deleted the partition. I need to recover those files; they are irreplaceable and really important. If anyone has a solution it will be gladly appreciated.”
Tips on How to Recover Data from Erased Hard Drive
Firstly, let’s talk about how to recover data from a wiped hard drive (just like case 1).
- Find a powerful hard drive data recovery tool. According to users’ feedback, MiniTool Power Data Recovery is a good choice for both experienced and inexperienced users.
- Get the software and run it to see its main interface; then, choose “Damaged Partition Recovery”.
- Select your hard drive that has been erased and click on “Full Scan” button to perform a thoroughscan.
- Wait for the scan. And then, browse the scan result carefully when it is finished. At last, please check the needed files and click on “Save” button to set a safe storage path for them.
This also works if you’d like to recover data from formatted hard drive.
Secondly, let’s talk about how to recover data from a deleted partition after you accidentally formatted a hard drive (just like case 2).
- Get reliable software and run it after installation.
Choose “Lost Partition Recovery” from the software main interface. Then, select your hard drive that includes the deleted partition. After that, please click on “Full Scan”.
- At last, you also need to check the needed files to recover by pressing “Save” button.
That’s all I want to talk about erased hard drive file recovery. Please keep this in mind: after you have erased hard drive by mistake, you should take actions immediately to recover data before they get overwritten.
Note: please read We Know A Superb Way to Recover Wiped Partition Effectively if you are interested in knowing how to recover wiped partition.
Things You Shouldn’t Do
- Never cut off the power supply whether the computer is in operation or in startup and shutdown phase.
- Don’t take out the hard drive and put it in any place arbitrarily.
- Avoid performing any operation to the computer when you’re not sure about what results it will bring.
- Please don’t get into panicor keep operating on the computer after you found data loss occurs on the hard drive.
- Try not purchasing any poor-quality computer accessories.
Believe it or not, as long as you pay enough attention to what I have mentioned here, you can avoid hard drive damage and hard drive recovery effectively.